By Harry Sykes

Adam Armstrong is set to leave Newcastle on loan before the transfer window cut-off.

Manager Rafael Benitez has revealed he has held crunch talks with the striker about his future and admits a temporary move is the most likely outcome before the 31 August deadline.

Aleksandar Mitrovic’s impending return, and the prospect of a new striker joining the club next week, means Armstrong moving further down the pecking order at St James’ Park.

Benitez revealed that the 19-year-old will not be in the 18-man squad for Newcastle’s Championship clash at Bristol City on Saturday.

“I was talking with him before the game and he won’t be involved,” Benitez said, as quoted by the Chronicle. “We are analysing what we have to do.

“If we bring in a striker with more experience he will have a chance to go on loan. We still have to decide. I will talk with him on Sunday and see where we are.”

Benitez’s revelation is certain to prompt the huge queue of clubs who are desperate to sign the in-demand England Under-19 international to ramp up their interest.

Armstrong fired 20 goals and added five assists in his 40 appearances last season while on loan at League One side Coventry.

Last month Coventry manager Tony Mowbray told Coventry Telegraph that he hopes they can secure the services of Armstrong once again.

The forward has already established himself as a member of the England Under-19 side and is a player who is in demand from lower league clubs.

He has been with Newcastle since he was only nine and has risen up through the ranks in recent years,.

In June former Newcastle great Alan Shearer urged Benitez to give Armstrong a chance in the first-team, saying that he could add some much-needed goals to a team that struggled in front of the net last year, as they were relegated from the Premier League.

In other Newcastle transfer news, a deal has been done which will see the club clinch a new signing.