By Harvey Byrne
Valencia manager Pako Ayestaran has insisted that Shkodran Mustafi will not be sold during this transfer window.
Arsene Wenger admitted at the weekend that Arsenal were in “talks” to sign the 24-year-old La Liga defender.
Sky Sports Germany reporter Marc Behrenbeck has previously reported that Arsenal had already agreed personal terms with the Valencia centre-back.
However, on Monday Sky Sports’ Spanish expert Guillem Balague said that the Gunners are likely to miss out on the centre-back.
The north London club were dealt another blow on Monday evening following Valencia’s 4-2 defeat against Las Palmas at home, as Ayestaran made an announcement on Mustafi’s future in his post-match interview.
“Mustafi is not for sale and will not be leaving the club,” said Ayestaran, as quoted by Sky Sports’ Transfer Centre Blog (08.39).
The German international came on at half-time for his La Liga club in their season opener, but he was still unable to stop Valencia from conceding the fourth and final goal in the 88th minute.
Arsene Wenger is actively chasing defensive cover after injuries to Per Mertesacker and Gabriel.
The French manager saw his side keep a clean sheet against champions Leicester on Saturday, but the 4-3 opening day defeat against Liverpool will still be fresh in the mind of the long-serving boss.
In other Arsenal transfer news, Gunners target Jose Fonte will not be leaving Southampton this summer.