By Harvey Byrne

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has denied saying that he would only join Real Madrid from Borussia Dortmund.

Reports on Monday came out that the 27-year-old told German TV station ZDF via Squawka that he would only leave Dortmund for the Galacticos.

However, Aubameyang has been angered by these claims and posted a message on his personal Twitter account denying that he had said that and that the quotes were fabricated.

Earlier in the year, talkSPORT reported that Arsene Wenger was prepared to break the club’s transfer record and sign the Borussia Dortmund forward for a fee of £65 million.

However, although the message might seem to present a little bit of hope, it’s clear that Aubameyang is reaffirming his commitment to Dortmund.

The 27-year-old enjoyed a stellar season in 2015-16 as he notched up 25 goals in 31 Bundesliga games, an achievement which saw him being linked with a number of European clubs during this current transfer window.

The north London club has failed in moves for Jamie Vardy and Gonzalo Higuain this summer, and a striker is clearly on Wenger’s shopping list.

The Frenchman will be looking to add firepower to his attacking line with just Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as the club’s only recognised senior strikers.

In other Arsenal transfer news, Hoffenheim centre-back Fabian Schar is one of the names on the Gunner’s shortlist.