By Harry Sykes
Aston Villa have intensified their pursuit of Hellas Verona goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, according to a report.
Sky Italy journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has claimed on his website that Villa are in advanced negotiations to sign the 21-year-old former Manchester United man.
It is said that the Championship club are in talks with the relegated Italian side and that there will be developments within the coming hours.
Football Insider reported on Friday that Villa had lodged a £4.1million bid for the shot stopper and were waiting on a response from Hellas Verona, who were relegated from Serie A at the end of the 2015-16 season.
The club’s new goalkeeping coach Massimo Battara is said to have expressed his desire to capture Gollini to manager Roberto Di Matteo, who then put in a formal offer in a bid to lure the youngster to Villa Park.
Villa’s two senior keepers Brad Guzan and Mark Bunn struggled with form and consistency as they conceded 76 goals in a wretched 2015-16 campaign.
Gollini was previously on the books at Manchester United, but failed to make a first-team appearance before he left for Italian side Fiorentina.
He then joined Hellas Verona, where he made 26 appearances in a stand-out season for the relegated side.
The Italy Under-20 international is said to be interested in a move back to England and if an offer is accepted then the youngster could become Di Matteo’s second signing of the summer after the capture of Bournemouth captain Tommy Elphick for a fee of £3m.
In other Aston Villa news, the club’s star player shares on Twitter which Euro 2016 player has caught his eye.