By Harry Sykes

Rafael Benitez has revealed that Newcastle will sign a new defender “soon” as he delivered a transfer update.

The Spaniard has revealed that he is hopeful of a transfer breakthrough as he looks to take his summer tally to six with the addition of a new centre-back.

Benitez is in regular contract with club chief Lee Charnley about transfers, with the priority to bring in a new man at the back.

The St James’ Park side have off-loaded long-serving duo Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor this summer and Benitez has identified Blackburn’s Grant Hanley as the man to replace them.

After leading his team to a 6-0 win over Bohemians, Benitez told the Chronicle he could have landed a new player before the next friendly at Doncaster Rovers on Wednesday night.

“I hope so,” the Newcastle manager said to the Chronicle. “We are working hard. Lee Charnley knows we need bodies to have all of the positions covered.

“We are short of centre-backs. We had to manage that with the minutes and positions. It is clear that in some positions we need bodies.

“I think we will have somebody soon.”

The Magpies have been tipped to sell Moussa Sissoko, Georginio Wijnaldum and Daryl Janmaat following Andros Townsend who left for Crystal Palace earlier this summer following their relegation to the Championship.

However, Rafa Benitez has also brought in five players which include Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle and Matz Sels in an attempt to return the north east side to the Premier League at the first attempt.

In other Newcastle news, Magpies striker Siem de Jong has picked up another injury during training.