By Merseyside correspondent Cam Downes

Liverpool have given Brendan Rodgers three months to turn around the team’s fortunes as they retain their interest in Jurgen Klopp, Football Insider sources understand.

Rodgers was told his job was safe when he met club chairman Tom Werner and Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon in an end-of-season review on Tuesday.

The northern Irishman will start his fourth season at the helm in August but the manager will be in trouble if he starts the campaign poorly.

Football Insider sources understand Liverpool’s owners FSG will give Rodgers around three months, up until November, to prove he has learned the lessons of the disappointing 2014-15 campaign.

A ‘comprehensive plan for improvement’ was formulated by the two parties at Tuesday’s crunch talks.

Nevertheless, Liverpool will continue to closely monitor the situation of Klopp, who has announced that he is taking a sabbatical following the end of his seven-year reign at Borussia Dortmund.

As revealed by Football Insider, Liverpool made an an approach for Klopp last month as they weighed up alternatives to Rodgers.

The 47-year-old German told the Merseysiders he would be taking a break from football but he is keen to work in the Premier League at some point in his career.

Liverpool also made contact with former boss Rafael Benitez, who has been appointed the new head coach at Real Madrid and a third un-named manager.

Liverpool will now press ahead with plans to overhaul their squad this summer.

As revealed by Football Insider, the club have reached an agreement on Tuesday with James Milner for the midfielder to join the club, and they are also close to clinching the signing of Danny Ings after agreeing personal terms with the Burnley striker.

The Merseysiders are also preparing a second bid for Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne, and are set to make a formal move for Aston Villa forward Christian Benteke.