By Alex Stevens
Massimo Cellino is still planning to sack Steve Evans as he prepares to dismiss the sixth manager of his controversial two-year reign, according to a report.
The Daily Mail claim that the Italian made his mind up to part ways with Evans back in March after consulting with senior players at Elland Road.
Evans signed a short-term contact when he replaced Uwe Rosler in October and would cost a minimal amount to let go at the end of June.
The Mail claim Cellino had been hopeful of landing a foreign manager to replace Evans but a deal has yet to materialise.
According to the Daily Mirror, Cellino is willing to let Steve Evans’ contract expire on June 30 and will not be appointing a new manager until then.
Evans is thought to just be waiting for confirmation that he will not be offered a permanent contract after Cellino told Mirror journalist David Anderson that he has already made his decision.
Anderson has also revealed that Cellino will not make the announcement in the coming days as expected, because Evans still has over a month to run on his current contract.
In a series of tweets on Sunday, Anderson confirmed he had spoken to the Leeds owner and been told a board meeting will be held on 18 May to decide who will replace Evans as manager.
Cellino leaves Steve Evans twisting in the wind. Says he is in no hurry to confirm his sacking because his contract runs until June 30…..
— David Anderson (@MirrorAnderson) May 8, 2016
Evans managed to steer Leeds away from a relegation fight after he was appointed to replace Rosler with the mandate of keeping the Yorkshire giants in the Championship.
Nevertheless, the Scotsman is in line to become the sixth manager to be dismissed since Cellino took over the Yorkshire club in 2014.