By Coral Barry

Charlie Mulgrew has revealed he is expecting a contract offer from Celtic this week.

The Celtic defender has been hampered by injury in recent seasons and will be a free agent when his current deal expires this summer.

Mulgrew has insisted he wants to remain at Celtic Park and revealed that talks had taken place last month with Rodgers in which the Hoops boss assured the Scotland international he wanted him to stay.

The 30-year-old is currently on international duty, but spoke to the media after Scotland’s most recent loss to France on Saturday and admitted he was slightly anxious about the time it was taking to get the deal done.

“I’m happy, but the longer it goes on, the longer you wonder if it’s going to happen,” said Mulgrew to Sky Sports. “I want to stay and I’ve spoken to the manager. He wants me to stay, which is important for me. You want to feel wanted.

He added: “There’s been no offer put on the table yet, but we are moving towards that this week.”

Mulgrew has been at Celtic since 2010 and has made 208 appearances for the club in six years.

Injury has limited the defender to just 20 appearances in each of his last two seasons, but Mulgrew insisted he sees a bright future for himself at Celtic.

The left-back said: “I spoke to the manager. The new manager’s plans for the club are great.

“It’s exciting times ahead for Celtic. I hope I can be involved in that because I think there’s a few big years coming up.”

In other Celtic news, the club have launched a bid for a Liverpool player Rodgers worked with at Anfield.