By Editor Wayne Veysey

Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Chelsea, Football Insider sources understand.

The Portugese has been dismissed after Chelsea chiefs, led by owner Roman Abramovich held a series of meetings in the last 48 hours to discuss his position.

A Chelsea source has told Football Insider that Mourinho was informed by the club at 2pm on Thursday that he had been sacked.

The 52-year-old was called to the training ground and was told by chairman Bruce Buck and director Eugene Tenebaum that his second spell in charge of the club had come to an end.

Mourinho then passed that information on to friends through a series of text messages.

Mourinho has been sacked just seven months after guiding Chelsea to the Premier League title, and only four months after the club trumpeted that he had signed a new, four-year contract.

Football Insider revealed on Wednesday night that Abramovich had told the Chelsea hierarchy to begin the search for a new manager.

The Chelsea owner decided to dispense with Mourinho after leading talks with the Chelsea board over the last 48 hours.

Sack race: Mourinho has been dismissed by Chelsea for a second time

Sack race: Mourinho has been dismissed by Chelsea for a second time

A Chelsea source has told Football Insider that Abramovich would prefer a permanent successor but is willing to sanction a move for an interim manager.

The manager’s position leaped back to the top of the agenda after Chelsea slipped to their ninth Premier League defeat of the season on Monday night to leave them marooned in 16th in the table, just one point above the relegation zone.

Moruinho lashed out at his players in the aftermath of the 2-1 defeat at Leicester by accusing them of “betrayal” for failing to follow his instructions.