By Alex Taylor
Everton have missed out on key summer transfer target Arkadiusz Milik from Ajax after the 22-year old agreed a £27.8million transfer to Napoli.
The Liverpool Echo reported that Ronald Koeman had been chasing forward Milik as he seeks to bolster his squad’s strike force.
But the official Ajax website revealed on Tuesday that Milik will now replace the departing Gonzalo Higuain at the Stadio San Paolo in Italy next season after the terms of his departure were finalised.
“Arek did a great job,” Ajax’s director of football Marc Overmars, told the club’s fans. “His goals-per-game ratio says it all. I can only give our scouting team a compliment for bringing him to our attention.”
“We were keen to hold on to him, but we were talking about completely different transfer fees when we agreed that Arek would not leave.”
The forward impressed on the domestic scene after scoring 21 goals last term as Ajax finished runners-up to PSV Eindhoven in the Eredivisie, but will now display his talents in Italy.
The youngster has already made an impression on the international scene, striking up a formidable partnership with Robert Lewandoski and bagged six goals in nine games during Poland’s successful Euro 2016 qualification.
He continued his good form at the main competition this summer and scored the winner in a 1-0 victory over Northern Ireland during the group stages.
In other Everton transfer news, the Toffees have completed the signing of Idrissa Gueye from Aston Villa, it was announced on Tuesday afternoon.