By London correspondent Tony Hughes

David Ginola has contacted Tottenham to thank the supporters for their messages of support as he recovers from heart surgery.

The former Spurs and Newcastle winger underwent a quadruple heart bypass last week after suffering a cardiac arrest while playing football in the south of France on Thursday.

Ginola has told the London club he is “progressing well” and Spurs responded on their official Twitter account by passing on his gratitude to the supporters who “overwhelmed” him with messages of support in their thousands.

The 49-year-old, who also played for Paris Saint-Germain, Aston Villa and Everton, had to have his heart restarted and underwent surgery in Monaco on the same day.

The former winger spent three seasons at White Hart Lane from 1997 to 2000 and is treasured by fans for his performances in the 1998-99 campaign when he was the PFA Player of the Year and Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year.

Speaking after the operation, and with the authority of Ginola’s family, his surgeon said the Frenchman could not have been luckier.

“I made the decision to transfer him to the operating theatre and he immediately underwent a quadruple heart bypass, which was very straightforward although difficult,” Gilles Dreyfus, professor of cardiac surgery at the Monaco Heart Centre, told the BBC on Friday.

“This morning he woke up perfectly normally with no neurological damage and is now recovering from a bypass like anybody would normally do.

“It was a sequence of events that at every stage went absolutely fine, that is why he is here today. Luckier you can’t be. It’s an unbelievable story.”

In other Tottenham news, the club are closing in on the signing of a new striker after an agreement was reached.