By Dominic Toner

Burnley are close to completing the loan signing of Patrick Bamford following weekend talks, according to Sean Dyche.

The Mirror claim that Burnley have agreed a season-long loan move with Chelsea for the 22-year-old striker and are now finalising his move.

It is said that the two clubs finalised the terms of the deal after Saturday’s encounter at Stamford Bridge, which was won 3-0 by Chelsea.

Burnley manager Dyche has admitted that his club were on the verge of landing Bamford.

“Patrick is close,” Dyche said, as quoted by the Mirror. “It’s just a few ‘i’s getting dotted and ‘t’s getting crossed.”

The Birmingham Mail reported earlier this month that Aston Vila were trying to persuade Bamford to make a loan switch to the Midlands side.

However the forward has favoured a move to Premier League side Burnley to compete with Andre Gray and Sam Vokes in attack.

Bamford scored 19 goals in 44 matches for Middlesbrough in 2014-15 Championship season and eight goals in 23 appearances for Derby on loan the following campaign.

However, the youngster who has two-years remaining on his Chelsea contract is yet to make his senior bow for the west Londoners, as he is behind senior duo Diego Costa and Michy Batshuayi  in the Stamford Bridge pecking order.

Bamford is still highly rated by his parent club even though he endured a difficult 2015-16 season in which he failed to score in two loan spells at Palace and Norwich.

Roberto Di Matteo did manage to convince Ross McCormack to complete a permanent £12million switch to Villa Park this summer and he is competing with Rudy Gestede for the forward position.

In other Aston Villa transfer news, a reliable journalist has provided an update in the club’s £20million striker pursuit.