By North-west correspondent Alex Stevens
Ronald Koeman has agreed to become Everton’s new manager, according to a report.
The Daily Mail claim Koeman has accepted the Merseyside club’s offer of a £6million-a-year contract following extensive talks in the last few days.
It is said that the Merseysiders only now need to agree compensation with Southampton before the deal is finalised.
Koeman has one year remaining on his contract with the south coast club, and it has been claimed this week that the compensation figure is the equivalent of a year’s salary, which is £3million.
Sky Sports reported on Friday that Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri has put together a huge package to entice Koeman to Goodison Park.
The billionaire is willing to hand Koeman a £6million-a-year salary, double his current £3million-a-year Southampton deal, and give him a £100million kitty to strengthen the Everton squad
This comes after Football Insider reported on Thursday afternoon that Koeman travelled with his agent Rob Jansen to Merseyside for talks.
Moshiri has detailed his long-term vision to Koeman, including transfer budget and stadium plans in a bid to convince him join.
Koeman has been pursued to succeed Roberto Martinez, who was sacked by Everton at the end of the season, after another strong campaign in the Premier League with Southampton.
The Dutchman has guided the Saints to back-to-back record breaking points totals in the Premier League and this season secured Europa League football.
The chances of the 53-year-old moving north had initially appeared highly unlikely after St Mary’s technical director Les Reed spoke of his confidence that Koeman would commit to a new Southampton contract.
“We’re now at a point, as Ronald has said himself, where we’re actually getting down to the details of the contract, which is where agents and lawyers get involved,” Reed said last week. “Everything is going very positively at the moment.”
In other news, Everton plot sensational bid for Manchester City star.