By Alex Taylor
Liverpool have rejected approaches from eight different Premier League clubs for striker Danny Ings within the last month, according to a report.
ESPN claims that Liverpool are intent on keeping Ings at Anfield this season as the striker is returning to full fitness following an ACL injury suffered in October.
The report – which does not name the clubs – says that the eight teams enquired about taking him on either a permanent or a loan deal, with one club reportedly willing to pay in excess of £20million for the stiker.
Ings joined Liverpool in the summer of 2015 as a free agent, but Liverpool had to pay his former club Burnley £6.5m upfront and £1.5m in performance-related bonuses after a tribunal in April.
According to the Telegraph Sunderland are said to have been the latest team to be rebuffed by Liverpool, after they failed in a loan-move for Ings on Monday.
Klopp has opted to use Roberto Firmino as the frontline striker at the start of the season, with senior striker duo Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi the first-choice substitutes.
The English forward has yet to be named in any of Liverpool’s match day squads in the Premier League this season and was an unused substitute in the EFL cup win over Burton, as he is eased back from a long-term injury.
However, it seems he still has a role to play in the Premier League, according to Klopp. The Liverpool manager said in the Echo earlier this month, “We’re counting on Ingsy. He was injured since October last year and he needed time. That’s how it is.
“Now he’s getting better and better. He know himself that in the first two or three weeks of pre-season even though he scored in the games it was too intense for him.”
The versatile forward can play as an out-and-out striker, in a deeper no. 10 role or out on the left hand side of a front three and has four years remaining on his current deal.
Ings has scored three goals in the nine games since his arrival at Anfield, but has bagged 54 career goals in 168 appearances.