By Tom Blackburn

Ajax opted not to join PSV Eindhoven in the race to sign Newcastle attacking midfielder Siem de Jong because they already have enough midfielders.

Ajax manager Peter Bosz admitted he is a big admirer of the Magpies player but says they already have eight central midfielders, so bringing de Jong back to the club did not make sense.

“Siem is a great player, who has also played well for Ajax,” Bosz said, as quoted by Voetbal International. “But he’s a midfielder and we already have eight of them.”

Siem signed for the Magpies on a six-year deal in 2014 following a £6million transfer from Dutch giants Ajax, but his time in Tyneside has been plagued by numerous injuries which has reduced his playing time to only four starts for the club.

Chronicle journalist Lee Ryder revealed on his personal Twitter account on Friday morning that sources in Holland have informed him that de Jong is set to undergo a medical a PSV.

Goal claimed last week that PSV are looking to give the former Ajax star a second chance in an attempt to breathe life into his career.

But Turkish outlet Yeniakit claimed on Thursday that Fenerbahce have joined the race to sign the 27-year-old Dutchman.

The Newcastle playmaker, who is currently recovering from a muscle injury, has been told he can leave by manager Rafa Benitez after the Shields Gazette confirmed that he would be allowing six senior first-team members to leave St. James’ Park in the final weeks of the window.

De Jong’s agent Louis Laros said earlier this month that his client is open to a move to PSV, where he would be united with his brother Luuk.

“Let me preface that there are no talks between PSV and us,” Laros said. “I get the idea though, because his brother plays in Eindhoven. Siem currently focuses on his recovery and will take probably another two or three weeks.”

Speaking to Dutch publication Voetbul Primeur, younger brother Luuk said that he would welcome a second footballing reunion with Siem, after both players were part of the de Graafschap youth academy.

“It’s a dream to play with him,” the former Gladbach striker said. “He is of course very welcome.

“It’s a shame that he is injured during pre-season. Hopefully he recovers quickly because he wants to feel good again and play football somewhere.”

In total, De Jong has played just 26 matches for Newcastle, scoring just two goals and supplying a single assist.

The Magpies’ number 10 has fallen down the pecking order at St. James’ Park, after the signings of Matt Ritchie, Mohamed Diame and Dwight Gayle.

In other Newcastle transfer news, they are to finalise a Premier League deal by Sunday.