By Amir Mir
David Moyes has confirmed Sunderland centre-back Lamine Kone will be fined by the club after publicly releasing a statement in which he asked for a transfer request after an offer from Everton.
Sunderland manager Moyes admitted an £18million bid had been tabled for Kone, but his actions has led the Scot to fine the player.
“He certainly will be [fined], yes,” said Moyes as quoted by the Chronicle.
Moyes revealed that the 27-year-old would be offered a new contract with the Black Cats, despite having four-years remaining on his deal but said “it’s not top of the agenda at the moment”.
The Paris-born player joined from Lorient in January and his 15 appearances last season helped the club survive relegation, including his brace against Everton which confirmed their safety.
Former Everton boss Moyes claimed that they will honour their promise of offering Kone a new contract in September, but until then he expects the transfer saga to continue.
“I don’t think we are unreasonable in what we have said,” said Moyes. “We don’t necessarily see why the big rush.
“We do accept that somebody, somewhere along the line, has said something to you. We’ve said we will honour that, and we definitely will do.
“I hope most people understand the reasons why we are saying this – we’ve only just come through the door and, you know what, we are trying to get some players in and change things round a little bit.
“Because of that, we are just not quite ready to do a deal.”
Kone’s camp released a statement in the player’s name late on Thursday night in which he outlined his position and asked for a transfer.
The following is a statement from Lamine Kone, who has tonight asked to leave Sunderland AFC. pic.twitter.com/nJ95z1a0Ye
— Keith Downie (@SkySports_Keith) August 11, 2016
But it now seems a deal for Kone will rumble on until the last day.
Everton boss Ronald Koeman has already signed experienced centre-back Ashley Williams from Swansea for £9million, after losing John Stones to Manchester City for a club-record fee of £47.5 million.
In the latest Everton transfer news, the Toffees will battle other European clubs for this £8.6 million player.