By Tom Blackburn
Everton are still interested in a move for Sunderland centre-back Lamine Kone, according to a report.
The Sunderland Echo claim that while David Moyes is adamant Kone isn’t for sale, the Toffees could make another effort to prise him away.
It is said Everton lodged a bid of £18million for the 27-year-old and are preparing to revive their pursuit on deadline day.
The Liverpool Echo reported earlier on Tuesday that the only way Kone would be allowed to leave Sunderland was if Anfield centre-back Mamadou Sakho was to join the Black Cats on loan.
Everton have made a number of bids for the 27-year-old, with Moyes openly admitting that he had rejected an offer last week.
“Kone will stay,” Moyes said, as quoted by the Sky Sports transfer centre blog. “The offer’s been rejected by me, yes. I’ve had that offer for a while now and I could have invested the money two weeks ago but doing that is very difficult.”
The Merseysiders have been pursuing Kone after being impressed by his displays in the centre of defence since his January move from French club Lorient.
The Toffees are keen to sign another centre-back after allowing John Stones to leave Goodison Park and join Manchester City in a £47.5million deal.
They have brought in Swansea captain Ashley Williams, but manager Ronald Koeman is keen for more depth at the heart of his defence.
In other Everton transfer news, Juventus have a pre-contract agreement for an Everton target.