By North-west correspondent Alex Stevens
Everton are making personal checks on Manuel Pellegrini after holding talks with him last week, according to a report.
The Chilean, who has been sacked by Manchester City but has a contract with the club until the end of June, is in the frame to replace Roberto Martinez at Goodison Park.
But the Mail on Sunday claim Everton want to gather more information about whether Pellegrini is tough enough to restore discipline to the Goodison Park dressing-room.
He is said to be one of the main contenders for the vacant post along with former Ajax manager Frank de Boer, Sevilla’s Europa League-winning manager Unai Emery, ex-Goodison boss David Moyes and former defender David Unsworth, who took caretaker charge for the final game of the season against Norwich following Martinez’s dismissal.
Chilean publication CDF.CL claimed last month that new Everton owner Farhad Moshiri is “really interested” in hiring Pellegrini.
His pedigree and experience is said to be of interest to billionaire Moshiri, who became the majority stakeholder in Everton March.
Pellegrini, 62, also reportedly impressed during talks with the Everton hierarchy last week but Moshiri and chairman Bill Kenwright want a strong personality after seeing Roberto Martinez struggle with many of his senior players.
They are currently talking to insiders at City about the Chilean’s spell there to try and find out how he handled players and if his true character was more dynamic and forceful than displayed in front of the television cameras.
The Chilean not only steered City to the Premier League title, two League Cup triumphs and the Champions League semi-finals during his three seasons at Etihad Stadium but has also managed Real Madrid, Malaga and Villarreal.