By Matt Farr
James McCarthy insists he is happy at Everton and has no intention to quit the club amid speculation over his long-term future.
In an interview with Sky Sports, McCarthy ruled out speculation linking him with a move away from the club, insisting that he is “happy” with life under Ronald Koeman.
The 26-year-old midfielder has faced increased competition for a first-team place at Goodison Park this season, following the arrival of Morgan Schneiderlin and Idrissa Gueye, as well as the emergence of youngster Tom Davies.
McCarthy has also struggled with injuries, forcing him to miss 10 games this season through hamstring and groin problems.
The Republic of Ireland international has been restricted to 11 appearances in all competitions this term, where has contributed one goal and two assists.
His long-term future came under immense scrutiny last month following the arrival of Schneiderlin from Manchester United, with several clubs linked with a move for McCarthy – including Newcastle and Aston Villa.
However, he has seemingly put that speculation behind him now.
In an interview with Sky Sports, he said: “The manager has come out and said that I’m not for sale, that I’m part of plans. I’m happy enough here.
“I want to play games and I want to be involved as much as I can. I think every player within the squad wants to play as much as they can – I’m no different.
“It’s been a stop-start season for me. I need to try and make sure I can keep myself fit and kick-on between now and the end of the season, and cause the boss a headache.”
McCarthy has appeared in three of Everton’s last four Premier League games, and gave an impressive display in the recent victory over Bournemouth.
The midfielder bagged a goal and an assist in the 6-3 rout last week, before being withdrawn by boss Koeman with half-an-hour to go.
Everton and McCarthy are next in action against Middlesbrough at the Riverside on Saturday.
In other Everton news, Koeman has made a huge comment about this Everton player.