By North-west correspondent Alex Stevens
Everton are eyeing a sensational move for England goalkeeper Joe Hart after he was axed by Manchester City, according to a report.
The Mirror claim Everton are keen to make Hart their first-choice goalkeeper even though they have already signed Maarten Stekelenburg from Southampton this summer.
It is said that Europa League holders Sevilla are also keen on capturing Hart, who has been told he can find a new club by City if Pep Guardiola lands a new No1.
England keeper has been left devastated after Guardiola left him on the bench for City’s opening-day 2-1 Premier League win over Sunderland on Saturday.
The Manchester club are targeting one of Barcelona duo Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo, and Sporting Lisbon’s Rui Patricio to replace Hart.
This has opened the door to a stunning Everton swoop.
The Sun claimed earlier this summer that the Merseysiders are willing to pay £40million to land the Manchester City ace as well as offer him a five-year contract worth £200,000-a-week.
The astonishing package said to have been put together by Everton’s super-rich new owner Farhad Moshiri is worth £92million in total.
This would not only comfortably shatter the club’s transfer record, which is the £28million they spent on Romelu Lukaku in 2014, but also make Hart easily the best-paid player in Everton’s history.
The Merseysiders have sold Tim Howard and his replacement Joel Robles has failed to convince since replacing the American in goal.
Stekelenburg was given the nod by Koeman to start in Everton’s 1-1 draw against Tottenham on Saturday and had a fine match.
Hart, 29, joined City from Shrewsbury in 2006 and has been a mainstay of the Premier League team during the Abu Dhabi era.
He is a firm favourite with City supporters for his leadership and commitment, and was a key player in the side that won Premier League titles in 2012 and 2014.
In other Everton news, a Premier League manager has been paid £4million to snub the Merseysiders and accept a new post.