By Editor Wayne Veysey| Former Evening Standard, Press Association and Goal chief correspondent with 17 years experience of breaking big stories, including exclusives like this
Follow me on Twitter @footyinsider247
Newcastle are hopeful of tying up the signing of Jonjo Shelvey this week, Football Insider sources understand.
The England international is almost certain to leave Swansea in the January window after being in and out of the starting X1 in recent months.
A source close to Shelvey has told Football Insider that Newcastle and Swansea are in talks about a deal for the 23-year-old midfielder.
Newcastle are ready to pay up to £12million to land the player, whose form has dipped after an excellent start to the season.
Crystal Palace are also monitoring Shelvey’s situation but the north-east club are in the box seat to sign him this month.
Shelvey has struggled to earn a place in the Swans’ first team this season under both previous manager Garry Monk and his temporary successor Alan Curtis.
He played 90 minutes in the Swans’ shock FA Cup third-round exit to League Two side Oxford United on Sunday.
But the former Liverpool man started just three Premier League games since October and was not part of the squad for the recent matches against Liverpool, Leicester, Manchester City and Manchester United.
Curtis, who revealed on Sunday there have been “enquiries” for Shelvey admitted last week that the midfielder is difficult to manage when he is not in the team.
“I’ve tried to speak to him and his attitude has always been in question, but he just wants to play and he gets frustrated if he is not in the team,” said the caretaker boss.
“If he is in the team he is not a problem at all, if he is not in the team he can be a bit more difficult to manage. He doesn’t come to you, you pull him in and find out when he is thinking about.”