By Tom Blackburn
Former Leeds forward Andy Ritchie has instructed Charlie Taylor to “carry on” with his career at the club despite being made to stay.
Leeds released a statement on Tuesday to confirm that a transfer request had been submitted by Taylor but said it had been rejected and the 22-year-old would not be sold this summer.
In his column for the Yorkshire Evening Post, Ritchie warned Taylor that if he fails to put his bad feelings to one side it could damage his career.
“Looking at it, Taylor has got to play as he is one of the better players and you cannot cut your nose off to spite your face with the situation,” said Ritchie.
“Even though he might not be happy that his transfer request has been rebuffed, he has got to be professional about it and carry on.
“Looking at the bigger picture, Leeds have got to make a decision as to whether they cash in on Taylor, as he is out of contract next summer or whether his contract runs down.
“For now, Taylor has to just knuckle down and play on. He also has to think about possible suitors and realise he will need to keep his performances up in that respect.”
Ritchie was a fan-favourite at Elland Road during his four years at the club and notably scored two hat-tricks in the 1984–85 season as well as helping the club reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup in the 1986–87 season.
Leeds’ reigning Player of the Year has just 12 months remaining on his Elland Road deal and Cellino has admitted the player is not interested in renewing his contract with Monk’s side.
But the club appear determined to hang on to the academy graduate until at least the January window, which is when they sold his former team-mate Sam Byram earlier this year.
Taylor has firmly established himself as Leeds’ first-choice left-back and made 42 appearances for the Whites last season, chipping in with seven assists.
It remains to be seen whether Monk will opt to use Taylor against QPR in the team’s Championship curtain-raiser on Sunday.