By Merseyside correspondent Cam Downes

Glen Johnson will leave Liverpool this summer as the Merseysiders continue to phase high earners out of the club.

Football Insider sources have learned that negotiations over a new deal have broken down, primarily because Liverpool believe that Johnson is at the stage of his career where he does not warrant another lucrative contract.

The defender, who turns 31 in August, is out of contract in the summer and American owners Fenway Sports Group do not want to renew on the same terms as his current agreement.

Johnson is in the top bracket of Anfield earners along with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge, and it has been made clear to him that he will not be offered a renewal anywhere near his current £120,000-a-week deal.

Liverpool are happy to allow Johnson to leave and he has been free since January to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club.

At the start of the year, Brendan Rodgers said he was hopeful a solution could be found to keep the England international but with Johnson having lost his place following the implementation of Liverpool’s 3-4-2-1 formation in December he is expected to become a high-profile summer departure.

Johnson was an unused substitute against Arsenal last Saturday, even though Martin Skrtel was suspended, with Rodgers preferring to use midfielder Jordan Henderson at right wing-back. The manager believes the former Chelsea, West Ham and Portsmouth defender has lost some of his pace and does not have the same capacity to career up and down the flank as he did in his youth.

Speaking last month about the possibility of a move overseas, Johnson said: “There are talks. It would be great for the kids to go abroad but I am not thinking about yet as we have two months left here and I’ll think about it after that. We will have to wait and see.”

FSG have a clear policy regarding transfer and wage policy, and are reluctant to sanction lucrative contracts for players who have turned 30.

Gerrard said his mind was made up about leaving at the end of this season because the owners stalled on offering him a new deal earlier in the campaign.

The Liverpool skipper will lead a high-profile exodus this summer, and is set to be joined through the exit door by Johnson, Mario Balotelli, Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert.

Football Insider revealed last month that the forward trio are set to be offloaded as the Merseysiders plan to recruit three new front men.