By Chelsea correspondent Tony Hughes
Guus Hiddink has not ruled out the possibility that John Terry could still be playing for Chelsea next season.
Terry dropped the bombshell on Sunday night that he has been informed by the Premier League club that his contract will not be extended beyond the summer.
Chelsea responded with a statement the same night that the possibility still existed that the long-serving captain could be handed a new deal.
Hiddink, who has previously said that he has recommended to the club hierarchy Terry should be handed a contract renewal, reiterated on Tuesday that the player’s future is not definitive.
“There was no specific decision made yet,” explained the Dutchman at his media briefing. “You have to see what’s coming up with the transition of the manager as well. That’s all I can say about this.
“It’s still early. The door is not shut. Dialogue is always possible. The club still want to have the dialogue and to have an open door still.”
Hiddink has seen no evidence of a drop in standards from Terry during his month-and-a-half reign, his second interim spell as manager of Chelsea.
“John’s statistics, not just that but also the view we have on him, I have on him, he’s very fit,” explained the manager. “He’s not what you normally see in a 35-year-old or 36-year-old player, that you feel you are getting a bit slower and cannot accept you’re in a danger zone for red cards etc.
“But none of that for John. He is fit and performing as he has been while I’ve been here. And he will do. We’ve spoken about that, and he will be very professional but also work hard as well.”
Asked about the timing of Terry’s announcement on Sunday in wake of the club’s 5-1 FA Cup annihilation of MK Dons, Hiddink said: “It was a bit surprising, but it’s entirely up to him to do so.”