By Matt Farr
Leeds United director of football Victor Orta has failed to give assurances that the club can successfully keep hold of star striker Chris Wood this summer, and fans on Twitter are concerned.
The 25-year-old goalscorer was the undoubted star of the show for the Yorkshire-based outfit last season, scoring 30 goals in all competitions.
He almost singlehandedly spearheaded Leeds’ promotion charge in the Championship, only to see his side fall short due to a poor finish to the campaign.
But after Leeds were condemned to another season competing in England’s second-tier, doubts have been raised over the club’s ability to retain the services of their most prized asset.
However, with Leeds likely to face a prolonged battle to fight off interest in Wood, Leeds senior man Orta admits that “no-one can say 1oo per cent” that Wood will remain a Leeds player next season.
He said, as quoted by Yorkshire Evening Post reporter Phil Hay on his personal Twitter account on Monday: “I hope but in football no-one can say 100 per cent. I read that Chris is happy with the manager.”
Orta on whether the likes of Wood will stay: "I hope but in football no-one can say 100%. I read that Chris is happy with the manager."
— Phil Hay (@PhilHayYEP) June 19, 2017
But Orta’s comments have not been received particularly well by the Leeds United faithful, who took to social media to deliver their verdicts.
Here is a selection of their messages on Twitter:
Already growing dislike for Orta. You can say 100% not for sale – if not looking to make £. So far, this presser has raised serious doubts
— Rob Foote (@realrj80) June 19, 2017
"read that Chris is happy." Phone him!
— GrimFreakster (@grimfreakster) June 19, 2017
Well he's hardly filling me with confidence.
— Tommy Ellam (@Ellam9) June 19, 2017
That's wood gone then
— Danieljamesrose (@danieljamesros2) June 19, 2017
— George Lindley (@GJLindley) June 19, 2017
Bye Wood. So Orta revealed we're skint and Wood could go! Any more bad news? Standard this, NOTHING as changed. Great #lufc
— matty clarke ???????????? (@geezlufc) June 19, 2017
Don't like this Orta bloke.
— LiamMilner (@LiamMiln_) June 19, 2017
he wont be here????
— Gary Morris (@LufcMorris) June 19, 2017
Interest in the prolific striker this summer is thought to be high, with several Premier League clubs reportedly coveting his services.
Daily Mirror reporter David Anderson claimed on his personal Twitter account last week that Premier League duo West Ham and Stoke were both “keen” on signing the prolific striker this summer.
Am told Huddersfield are not in for Leeds' striker Chris Wood. But Stoke and West Ham are keen on the prolific Kiwi striker.
— David Anderson (@MirrorAnderson) June 12, 2017
In other Leeds transfer news, they have received several Premier League enquires for their teenager.