By Coral Barry
Massimo Cellino has dismissed reports he is about to sack Steve Evans, calling reports of his imminent departure “rubbish”.
Evans is said to be on the verge of the axe despite managing to steer the club away from a relegation fight after a run of three victories from four league games.
A report in the Daily Mail on Tuesday claimed that Cellino has decided to end Evans’ tenure at the end of the season and is already actively looking for a replacement.
David Anderson, a journalist at the Mirror, has tweeted that he asked the controversial Leeds owner about the reports on Wednesday and the response was emphatic.
Cellino has fired five managers as owner of the Championship club despite only taking over in 2014.
Evans was appointed last October after the dismissal of Uwe Rosler, whose reign as Leeds manager lasted just 12 games.
Despite the Italian’s insistence that Evans’ job is safe, Anderson was obviously not convinced by Cellino’s answer about the manager’s position.
The 4-1 humiliation at the hands of local rivals Huddersfield over the weekend is said to have triggered a player mutiny at Leeds.
Senior players are alleged to have approached Cellino after the game and admitted they have no confidence in the Leeds boss.
Despite the speculation, Evans is just four games away from becoming the longest-serving manager under Cellino, a damning indictment of the instability that has so far plagued the Italian’s reign as Leeds owner.
In other Leeds news, Evans has responded to claims he is a dead-man walking at Elland Road.