By Editor Wayne Veysey | Former Evening Standard, Press Association and Goal chief correspondent with 17 years experience of breaking big stories, including exclusives like this

Follow me on Twitter @footyinsider247

Manchester City have seven players on their casualty list after Joe Hart joined the walking wounded on Wednesday night.

City have also been hit by a fresh injury blow as Manuel Pellegrini revealed that Vincent Kompany has suffered a setback and will not play for at least another fortnight.

It is a double blow for Pellegrini, whose team suffered a 1-0 Champions League defeat at Juventus on Wednesday night that could scupper their chances of claiming first place in their group and avoiding a knockout tie against one of Europe’s big guns.

City goalkeeper Hart suffered a hamstring injury in the second half and was substituted after 81 minutes and replaced by his deputy Willy Caballero.

Hart is a doubt for City’s Premier League match at home to Southampton on Saturday and joins a treatment room that includes Koompany, David Silva, Wilfried Bony, Eliaquim Mangala and Pablo Zabaleta as well as long-term absentee Samir Nasri, who faces a battle to play again this season.

Speaking about the club’s injury list at his post-match media conference on Wednesday night, Pellegrini said: “For Joe Hart – it is impossible to know how serious his injury is at this point. He has a problem with his hamstring and has had a problem in his back for the past week.

“We hope we don’t lose him, but for if for some reason he cannot play I have trust in Willy Caballero.

“David Silva is working with the physio in Manchester and we will know more tomorrow, but Vincent Kompany has no chance to play this week. He is not running yet and will need at least two weeks more.”

Double blow: Pellegrini will once again be without key duo Silva and Kompany

Injury blow: Pellegrini says Hart has been suffering from a back problem for the last week

City’s defeat in Turin could have severe repercussions when the Champions League restarts in the new year.

Although Pellegrini’s had already qualified for the competition’s knockout stages they want to claim top spot in the group after paying the price in recent season for finishing in second place.