By Tom Blackburn
Maarten Stekelenburg will ignore speculation about the raft of leading goalkeepers linked with Everton to focus on clinching the No1 spot.
The Dutchman joined the Toffees last week and has since linked up with the side for the beginning of pre season training.
Football Insider reported on Monday that Schmeichel is top of a list of high-profile targets being considered to succeed Tim Howard as the Toffees new first choice keeper.
Talking to evertonfc.com, Stekelenburg discussed his hopes for himself at the club having joined up with manager Ronald Koeman for the third time,
“I want to play as much as possible and to give everything for the Club and the fans,” said the 33-year-old former Ajax star.
“It’s nice to be staying longer than one year. The three-year deal is something I’m happy with.
“There’s new staff here as well – I’m familiar with most of them. I’m looking forward to getting the season started.”
The 54-cap man previously spent time with Koeman on loan spells away from Fulham with Monaco and Southampton.
The Dutchman made 25 appearances for the Saints this season, and Koeman is keen to address the issue of goalkeepers at Everton.
Koeman is not convinced Joel Robles is up to the task of being Everton’s No.1 stopper while veteran first-choice Tim Howard has returned to America to see out the remainder of his career.
Everton are said to be backing Koeman with a £100million transfer kitty and the Everton boss is believed to want to add another goalkeeper before the end of the summer.
That could mean Robles’ time at Goodison Park is coming to a close with the Spaniard a signing of former Everton manager Roberto Martinez.
Tim Krul of Newcastle was supposedly a target, but Football Insider reported on Wednesday that any hope of a transfer has now collapsed.
In other Everton news, Axel Witsel is to snub Chelsea and Serie A clubs for a move to Goodison.