By Harry Sykes

Newcastle have made an approach for FC Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller, according to a report.

The Mail claim that the north-east giants have made contact with the Dutch club over a move to sign the prolific 22-year-old.

It is said that Haller has also been discussed by Everton in recent weeks and is a target for Sporting Lisbon and Monaco.

But Newcastle are keen to land the £8million-rated striker as they attempt to secure the final forward signing wanted by manager Rafael Benitez before the transfer window shuts.

Following reports in France, the interest of the north-east giants was corroborated by reliable Chronicle journalist Lee Ryder on Thursday on his personal Twitter account.

French website France Football last month claimed that Everton were leading the chase to win the forward’s signature as they are financially stronger than the other suitors.

Haller scored 24 goals and provided six assists in 42 games in all competitions last season for F.C Utrecht and has begun the new campaign in equally impressive form, scoring two goals in their opening two matches.

But Newcastle have now formalised their chase as they aim to further strengthen the squad of Benitez, who has said this week that he is in the market for a new striker.

Newcastle have outspent all of their Championship rivals in this transfer window by recruiting a host of Premier League players, with pair Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie costing a combined £22million.

They picked up their second win of the season on Saturday when they beat Bristol City 2-1.

In other Newcastle transfer news, they warn Everton not to mess around over transfer as reported talks planned.