By Harvey Byrne
Middlesbrough have made a late bid to hijack Newcastle’s signing of Brendan Galloway from Everton, according to a report.
The Mirror claims that the Teesiders have moved in to match the Magpies’ offer to take the left-back on loan for the season.
Aitor Karanka’s side can offer the 20-year-old defender Premier League football, but it is claimed in the report that the Toffees are unlikely to want to sanction a deal to a rival top-flight club.
This report comes after Chronicle chief sports writer Lee Ryder stated that the Magpies were likely to sign the England Under-19 international next week.
— Lee Ryder (@lee_ryder) August 11, 2016
The Chronicle claim the Magpies are in talks with the Merseysiders about landing left-back Galloway on an initial loan with a view to a permanent transfer.
It was said that discussions over the deal were in the final stages and that Galloway was on standby to undergo a Newcastle medical and agree personal terms before Middlesbrough’s reported involvement.
The Mirror report that Newcastle remain in pole position to land the left-back and that manager Rafael Benitez is hopeful over pushing the deal over the line early next week.
The 20-year-old impressed after breaking into the Toffees’ first-team during the early part of last season under Roberto Martinez.
Galloway made 19 appearances for the club as he filled in impressively at left-back while Leighton Baines and Bryan Oviedo were injured.
But with both of those players vying for a first-team spot, Galloway’s chances of adding to his experience appears limited.
The former England Under-19s player has not played for Everton since 31 January and said last month that he is keen to force his way into Koeman’s team.
“We have got a point to prove, especially with the new manager,” Galloway told the Liverpool Echo. “It is a fresh start and I will be looking forward to catching his eye and impressing him and his new staff.”
Galloway came through the ranks at MK Dons where he made his senior debut aged 15 in the FA Cup first round to become the club’s youngest-ever player.
He moved to Everton in 2014 and signed a new five-year contract last December after his impressive performances for then-manager Roberto Martinez.
Galloway says he was pleased with the former Barcelona player’s appointment and is ready for the challenge ahead.
“I’m always up for a challenge and always want to win and play, so I am looking forward to it,” said Galloway.
“I am really happy with it (Koeman’s appointment). I was on holiday at the time but when his name popped up I was really excited to start working with him. As a player he was exceptional and as a coach he has been as well.”
In other Newcastle transfer news, Benitez has reiterated that Sissoko still has a contract at the club.