By Tom Blackburn
Newcastle are poised to sign England Under-19 defender Brendan Galloway from Everton on Wednesday, according to a report.
It was widely reported on Tuesday that the Toon giants are in advanced talks with the Merseysiders about landing the young left-back on an initial loan and that a medical had been scheduled.
The Chronicle now claim that the deal will be confirmed on Wednesday, before boss Rafael Benitez moves his attention to midfield and attacking targets.
It is said that Newcastle will stump up a £1million loan fee for Galloway and will also pay all his wages for the upcoming season.
Paul Dummett started at left-back for Benitez’s team in Friday night’s 1-0 Championship defeat to Fulham but Galloway could go straight into the line-up against Huddersfield this weekend if a deal is done quickly enough.
Galloway, 20, impressed after breaking into the Toffees’ first-team during the early part of last season under Roberto Martinez.
The youngster made 19 appearances for the club as he filled in impressively at left-back while Leighton Baines and Bryan Oviedo were injured.
But with both of those players vying for a first-team spot, Galloway’s chances of adding to his experience appears limited.
The former England Under-19s player has not played for Everton since 31 January and said last month that he is keen to force his way into Koeman’s team.
“We have got a point to prove, especially with the new manager,” Galloway told the Liverpool Echo. “It is a fresh start and I will be looking forward to catching his eye and impressing him and his new staff.”
Galloway came through the ranks at MK Dons where he made his senior debut aged 15 in the FA Cup first round to become the club’s youngest-ever player.
He moved to Everton in 2014 and signed a new five-year contract last December after his impressive performances for then-manager Roberto Martinez.
In other Newcastle transfer news, they are braced for Juventus raid for 28-year-old international.