By North-west correspondent Alex Stevens

Newcastle are ready to step up their interest in Victor Valdes after he revealed that he is “fighting to be free” from Manchester United.

Valdes has been frozen out at Old Trafford by Louis van Gaal after refusing to play for United’s Under-21s last season.

The former Barcelona goalkeeper used his Twitter account on Wednesday to explain how keen he is to find a new club in the January transfer window.

“Not to let down those who want to see me play again – that’s my motivation,” Valdes wrote on the social media site. “I fight to be free and enjoy my profession.”

The Spain international attached an image of him holding a piece of paper in his hand, which read: “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

Valdes had been ostracised from the United first team set-up following Louis Van Gaal’s decision not to take him on the tour of USA. He has not featured this season and was overlooked at the start of the campaign in favour of Argentine Sergio Romero when David de Gea’s future was in doubt.


A Newcastle source has told Football Insider that the north-east club are weighing up a move for Valdes after their No1 keeper Tim Krul sustained a cruciate ligament injury last month that is expected to sideline him for the rest of the season. There is also interest from clubs in Turkey and the United States.

Valdes’ representative Gines Carvajal has admitted that the 33-year-old is unlikely to be at the club beyond the winter transfer window.

“He (Valdes) needs to go to a place he feels is right for him,” Carvajal told Radio Marca last month. “It is obvious he must leave in January, and we are looking to find a move that he likes.

“He won’t be coming to Spain, unless he decides otherwise. He had the option of coming to Valencia in the summer and did not want to.”