By Harry Sykes

Charles N’Zogbia is facing the prospect that his career at the highest level could be over, according to a report.

French publication L’Equipe claim that N’Zogbia’s transfer to Nantes has been delayed after a setback during his medical.

It is said that tests revealed a “small” heart condition was detected and further analysis will now take place to determine whether the problem is sufficiently serious to end his career at the highest level.

Nantes official expect the final recommendation from doctors on Wednesday night.

The huge blow to N’Zogbia comes after the former Aston Villa and Newcastle winger agreed a year-long contract with the French club with the option of a second year.

The 30-year-old was released by Villa earlier in the summer and spent time training with Sunderland in order to boost his fitness.

The Shields Gazette reported in July that Sunderland boss David Moyes was weighing up his options for the midfielder as the North East club looked to improve their squad after Premier League survival last season.

He was offered the chance by former manager Sam Allardyce but was ultimately told he wouldn’t be offered a deal.

N’Zogbia’s advisor Chris Nathaniel said in The Mirror: “Charles feels he did not have enough opportunities to show what he can do after a difficult time at Villa.

“But his Premier League experience with Newcastle and Villa could be invaluable to the right team. He has proved what he can do.”

The highly-criticised midfielder earned a reported £60,000-a-week at Villa, but only made two Premier League appearances last season as the club was relegated.

N’Zogbia was signed by the Midlands club in the summer of 2011 by then-manager Alex McLeish but left on bad terms after barely featuring for the club in the past two years.

In other Aston Villa news, this is the team that is expected to face Barnsley on Tuesday night.