By Tony Hughes

Alan Pardew has claimed it would cost Tottenham £50million to prise Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace in January.

Spurs made a late August swoop for Zaha but Palace dismissed a £12million offer for the winger shortly before the transfer window shut.

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish dismissed the offer as “ridiculous” and claimed that Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino rates Zaha so highly he “thinks he’s the next [Cristiano] Ronaldo”.

The Guardian claim that Tottenham subsequently increased their initial bid to £21million, but Palace chairman Parish stood firm and resisted any attempts to cash in on the 23-year-old.

Zaha was the star of the show for Palace on Saturday as they beat Middlesbrough 2-1 at the Riverside, assisting Christian Benteke’s opener and then scoring the winner in the second half.

Asked afterwards how close the England international came to joining Tottenham last month, Pardew told Match of the Day: “I don’t think it was as close as people think because there wasn’t, like, £50million on the table. Maybe there will be one day and then it will be more difficult for us.”

Spurs offered to double Zaha’s wages to £70,000-a-week in an attempt to reach an agreement with the player, who is said to be keen on an improved deal at Palace.

The two-time England international impressed for Pardew’s side last season, scoring five goals and producing seven assists in 43 league and cup encounters.

In other Tottenham transfer news, this attacker has signed after completing talks with Spurs.