By London correspondent Tony Hughes
Heung-min Son told Mauricio Pochettino he wanted to quit the club just weeks ago.
The Tottenham manager admitted the South Korean had been keen in the summer to join Wolfsburg after just one season in England.
The German club tabled a bid of around £25million for the attacking midfielder but Spurs chose not to sell and Pochettino admitted the transfer was vetoed.
“For him last season was tough,” Pochettino said on Sunday, as quoted by the Mirror. “He came to see me and said ‘I need your help.’
“I said ‘OK, always my door is open and he decided to stay.’ He is a quiet person, nice person and he has fought for his place.
“But it’s true that after the Olympic Games his idea was to leave to go to Germany. But its one thing what the player wants, the other is the club’s decision.”
Son has had a stop-start career with Tottenham since joining from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer of 2015 in a £22million deal.
After missing the start of the campaign because he was representing South Korea at the Olympic Games, Son made his first appearance of the season in the 4-0 win at Stoke nine days ago and responded with the first two goals.
The 24-year-old retained his place for the Champions League defeat by Monaco at Wembley and once again for Sunday’s 1-0 win over Sunderland.
The arrivals of Moussa Sissoko from Newcastle and Georges-Kevin N’Koudou from Marseille have intensified the competition for Son’s preferred attacking midfield position.
Regulars Alli, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen are also competing to be in Pochettino’s preferred trio behind lone forward Harry Kane.
Son scored an impressive 29 goals in 85 matches for former club Bayer Leverkusen.
He has not always been consistent at Spurs but 10 goals in 25 starts is a solid return for a wide forward.
In other Tottenham news, the club have revived talks on a £28.8million deal ahead of the January window.