By Dominic Toner
Siem de Jong may not join PSV Eindhoven until next week, according to the club’s technical manager Marcel Brands.
The PSV recruitment chief admitted his club are working on a deal to sign the 27-year-old Newcastle playmaker but stressed that it has not yet been finalised.
Reports in Holland on Friday, that were later corroborated in England, said De Jong is set to join the Dutch club on a season-long loan.
“It seemed at first to go very quickly, but now it will take still some time before the go ahead really comes,” Brands said, as quoted by website Football Oranje. “He finds PSV a great club and calls it a dream to play with his brother. Whether that will happen, we know, hopefully next week.”
Chronicle journalist Lee Ryder revealed on his personal Twitter account on Friday morning that sources in Holland had informed him of De Jong’s imminent PSV medical.
Goal claimed last week that PSV are looking to give the former Ajax star a second chance in an attempt to breathe life into his career.
The Newcastle playmaker, who is currently recovering from a muscle injury, has been told he can leave by manager Rafa Benitez after the Shields Gazette confirmed that he would be allowing six senior first-team members to leave St. James’ Park in the final weeks of the window.
Reigning Eredivisie champions PSV currently have Siem’s brother Luuk in their squad and the pair could be reunited this summer.
Siem signed for the Magpies on a six-year deal in 2014 following a £6million transfer from Dutch giants Ajax, but his time in Tyneside has been plagued by numerous injuries which has reduced his playing time to only four starts for the club.
In total, De Jong has played just 26 matches for Newcastle, scoring just two goals and supplying a single assist.
The Magpies’ number 10 has fallen down the pecking order at St. James’ Park, after the signings of Matt Ritchie, Mohamed Diame and Dwight Gayle.
In other Newcastle transfer news, their midfielder is close to agreeing a loan-to-buy move away from the club.