By Harry Sykes
Andrea Radrizzani’s full takeover of Leeds United is still some way off completion, according to a reliable journalist.
The sports media tycoon told the Brescia edition of sports newspaper Corriere della Sera in the middle of last week that the Championship club “will be 100 per cent mine” within 10 days to a fortnight.
But there have been rumours in recent days that the takeover has hit a snag, with Mike Thornton, who is the company secretary of supporters group Leeds Fans Utd, revealing in a bombshell blog last Thursday night that the full takeover could be “called off for now” due to Bahraini investment bank Gulf Finance House (GFH).
Yorkshire Evening Post correspondent Phil Hay has not gone quite that far but has reported there are still some hurdles to be overcome before Radrizzani takes full control.
Asked by a Leeds fan for an update on the takeover, Hay replied on his personal Twitter account that it “still needs certain things resolved” although he dampened fears by insisting the deal is “very much on track we’re told”.
@DoctorT1992 KB’s back at Swans. Monk talks planned to take place post TO. TO still needs certain things resolved (but very much on track we’re told)
— Phil Hay (@PhilHayYEP) May 16, 2017
Hay also explained that talks between Radrizzani and Monk over a new contract to replace his current 12-month deal, which expires next month, are planned to take place when the takeover is completed.
There will be concern among the Leeds fanbase at the protracted takeover negotiations given Radrizzani’s upbeat comments last week.
The businessman is in advanced talks to buy out fellow co-owner Massimo Cellino, who is set to step aside following three-and-a-half years at Elland Road marked by controversy, court cases and run-ins with supporters and the football authorities.
Intriguingly, there have been reports in the Italian media that Cellino is close to buying a majority stake in Serie B club Brescia.