By Alex Stevens
Newcastle are set to sign England Under-19 defender Brendan Galloway from Everton next week, according to a reliable journalist.
The Chronicle chief sports writer Lee Ryder has claimed on his personal Twitter account that the deal is advanced but has been delayed while Everton look to secure another defender.
— Lee Ryder (@lee_ryder) August 11, 2016
The Merseysiders signed Ashley Williams from Swansea on Wednesday and are also in the market for a second senior centre-back, with Sunderland’s Lamine Kone in their sights.
The Chronicle claim the Magpies are in talks with the Merseysiders about landing left-back Galloway on an initial loan with a view to a permanent transfer.
It is said that discussions over the deal are in the final stages and that Galloway is on standby to undergo a Newcastle medical and agree personal terms.
This comes after the Mirror reported that Rafael Benitez’s team will borrow the young left-back for the season for a seven-figure sum plus paying his full wages.
The 20-year-old impressed after breaking into the Toffees’ first-team during the early part of last season under Roberto Martinez.
Galloway made 19 appearances for the club as he filled in impressively at left-back while Leighton Baines and Bryan Oviedo were injured.
But with both of those players vying for a first-team spot, Galloway’s chances of adding to his experience appears limited.
The former England Under-19s player has not played for Everton since 31 January and said last month that he is keen to force his way into Koeman’s team.
“We have got a point to prove, especially with the new manager,” Galloway told the Liverpool Echo. “It is a fresh start and I will be looking forward to catching his eye and impressing him and his new staff.”
Galloway came through the ranks at MK Dons where he made his senior debut aged 15 in the FA Cup first round to become the club’s youngest-ever player.
He moved to Everton in 2014 and signed a new five-year contract last December after his impressive performances for then-manager Roberto Martinez.
Galloway says he was pleased with the former Barcelona player’s appointment and is ready for the challenge ahead.
“I’m always up for a challenge and always want to win and play, so I am looking forward to it,” said Galloway.
“I am really happy with it (Koeman’s appointment). I was on holiday at the time but when his name popped up I was really excited to start working with him. As a player he was exceptional and as a coach he has been as well.”
In other Newcastle transfer news, this attacking midfielder has revealed he is in talks with Magpies chiefs about a transfer.