By London correspondent Tony Hughes
Tottenham have submitted three separate bids for Holland striker Vincent Janssen, according to a report.
Football Insider reported that Thursday that the north Londoners’ offer for Janssen had been rejected by his club AZ Alkmaar.
Dutch publication De Telegraf has claimed that Spurs have made three separate bids for the forward.
It is said the opening offer was £8.3million plus £2.1million of add-ons, the second was for £10.4million plus £2.1million of add-ons and the third was for £11.6million spread over three years.
All three bids were rejected by AZ, who are holding out for a fee of £16.2million for the in-demand striker.
“The difference between the offer and the price we demand was too big,” said AZ technical director Max Huiberts. “I’ve read a lot of speculation and been telephoned by other clubs but no-one else has made any concrete offer.”
The Holland international has been targeted on the back of his performances for club and country after an outstanding 2015-16 campaign.
The 21-year-old was the top scorer in the Dutch League this season with a virtual goal-a-game haul of 27 goals in 34 games. In all competitions, he struck 32 times in 49 matches.
The Holland spearhead has also scored three goals in five international appearances even though he only made his international bow in March. He scored the equaliser from the penalty spot in the recent friendly against England at Wembley and netted the opening goal in the 2-0 win over Austria earlier this month.
Janssen has made it clear that he wants to play in the Premier League and is open to the possibility of a transfer this summer.
“I want to make a step, that is clear, but there is no white smoke just now,” Janssen said, as quoted by the Mirror. “England? We will see. Maybe something will happen in the holidays. I will take my phone with me anyway.”
Mauricio Pochettino is keen to beef up the Spurs attack after Harry Kane led the front line virtually singlehandedly in the recently completed domestic campaign.
As revealed by Football Insider, Marseille spearhead Michy Batshuay has also been extensively scouted by Pochettino’s recruitment team this season.
In other Tottenham transfer news, another White Hart Lane attacker is set to be sold this summer after a decision by Pochettino.