By Alex Stevens

Everton are interested in signing wantaway Newcastle attacking midfielder Moussa Sissoko, according to a report.

The Sun claim Goodison manager Ronald Koeman is keen to land the unsettled France international but he is not part of the negotiations for the Magpies to sign Brendan Galloway on loan.

The Sunday Mirror claim Rafael Benitez has made an approach for the Everton left-back and is waiting on an answer from Koeman.

It is said that the Everton has been unable to give Benitez a definitive decision so far because he the Dutchman is still working on defensive reinforcements of his own.

Intriguingly, the Merseysiders are keen on signing Sissoko, and have not been put off by the north-east club’s valuation.

Newcastle set a huge £35million price tag on Sissoko in the wake of his display in the Euro 2016 final and he has been targeted by some of Europe’s biggest clubs.

Sissoko said negotiations are ongoing with his agent to find a new club and there is interest from “a lot of clubs”.

Sissoko told So Foot Mercato: “I still hope to have the chance to join a more exclusive club. Now we are negotiating with Newcastle. They are open to a departure. We are in discussions.”

The attacking midfielder is contracted with the Toon giants until June 2019, but has made it clear he prefers an immediate move back to top flight football rather than fighting for promotion in the Championship next season.

The France international was the outstanding player for his team in the latter stages of Euro 2016, in which they lost 1-0 to Portugal in the final.

Sissoko was absent from the Magpies team that began their Championship campaign with a shock 1-0 defeat to Fulham on Friday night.

On Wednesday, Marca claimed that Real Madrid were not interested in the midfielder despite speculation.

In other Everton transfer news, the club have been given an emphatic response after making an offer to a Euro 2016 star.