By London correspondent Tony Hughes
Tottenham will lodge a new bid for Vincent Janssen as they attempt to finalise the transfer of the Holland striker, according to a report.
French publication L’Equipe claim Spurs are set to return to the negotiating table with AZ Alkmaar after they had a £15million bid for the 21-year-old rejected last week.
It is said Tottenham have seen off late interest in Janssen from Paris Saint-Germain and are confident of reaching an agreement with AZ in the coming days.
The Londoners have tabled a series of offers for the Janssen but have yet to meet the valuation of the Eredivisie side.
The Dutch club’s technical director Max Huiberts has revealed that AZ will sell the striker at the right price as he admitted that a sale of the forward is possible.
Janssen has explained that Spurs’ latest bid has amounted to £15million, which is just £1.7million short of AZ’s £16.7million publicly stated valuation.
Huiberts told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, “We have done extensive research to approximate the market value of Vincent, with people who understand it, for example.
“We have ambition at AZ and want to belong to the top four in the Netherlands, so it does not help if we sell our players.
“Vincent signed a contract here a year ago for three years. Basically, we do not want to lose him.”
Janssen hit out on Thursday at the Dutch club as he claimed Tottenham’s offer of £15million was a fair price.
“I’ve made my choice clear to the club,” Janssen told Dutch publication AD on Thursday. “In my view, Tottenham Hotspur have made a big offer. There was an offer of about €18 million (£15million). “But AZ doesn’t even want to sit at the table.
“At the moment I’m still a bit disappointed with AZ. I’m disappointed with how they behaved. I would like to make the move.”
Janssen three years remaining on his contract after he joined from Almere City for £300,00 last summer.
Dutch publication De Telegraf has reported the opening Spurs offer was £8.3million plus £2.1million of add-ons, the second was for £10.4million plus £2.1million of add-ons and the third was for £11.6million spread over three years.
The Holland international has been targeted on the back of his performances for club and country after an outstanding 2015-16 campaign.
The 21-year-old was the top scorer in the Dutch League this season with a virtual goal-a-game haul of 27 goals in 34 games. In all competitions, he struck 32 times in 49 matches.
The Holland spearhead has also scored three goals in five international appearances even though he only made his international bow in March. He scored the equaliser from the penalty spot in the recent friendly against England at Wembley and netted the opening goal in the 2-0 win over Austria earlier this month.
Mauricio Pochettino is keen to beef up the Spurs attack after Harry Kane led the front line virtually singlehandedly in the recently completed domestic campaign.
The Argentine manager is looking for more forward options after losing out to Chelsea this week in the race to sign Michy Batshuayi from Marseille.
In other Tottenham transfer news, another White Hart Lane attacker is set to be sold this summer after a decision by Pochettino.