By Tom Blackburn
Mark Warburton has claimed Rangers have no intention of signing Newcastle striker Adam Armstrong.
The 19-year-old fired 20 goals and added five assists in his 40 appearances last season while on loan at League One side Coventry and Newcastle manager Benitez is still to decide whether Armstrong could replicate that form in the Championship.
The Scottish Sun claimed on Tuesday that Glasgow giants Rangers were said to be eyeing up a loan bid to resolve their striker issues.
However, Warburton has responded by saying Rangers will not being taking Armstrong as he urged supporters not to listen to every transfer rumour.
“Not for us. He’s a very talented player but he’s not coming to Rangers,” the manager said after the Scottish giants beat Peterhead 5-0, via the Scottish Daily Record.
“If we took everyone in that we are linked to we would have a squad of 75 players. He’s a talented player. I know how well he did at Coventry but there’s no truth in that rumour.”
Last month Coventry manager Tony Mowbray told Coventry Telegraph that he hopes they can secure the services of Armstrong once again.
The forward has already established himself as a member of the England under-19 side and is certainly a player who will look to carry on his development wherever he is next season.
He has been with Newcastle since he was only nine and has risen up through the ranks in recent years, a chance in the first-team could be his next step.
In June former Newcastle great Alan Shearer urged Benitez to give Armstrong a chance in the first-team, saying that he could add some much-needed goals to a team that struggled in front of the net last year, as they were relegated from the Premier League.
In other Newcastle transfer news, a deal has been done which will see the club clinch a new signing within hours.