By Danny Wright
Shay Given believes that Joe Hart should try to force his way back into Premier League football with a move to Newcastle this summer.
The Sun has reported that Rafa Benitez has turned his attention towards the 30-year-old Manchester City goalkeeper after he missed out on snapping up Willy Caballero on a free transfer following his move to Chelsea.
Benitez is said to have made signing a new ‘keeper one of his top priorities this summer, and former Newcastle shot-stopper Given has recommended that a move to St. James’ Park could revive Hart’s stalling career.
“He got linked with Newcastle last week and that would be a good move as well,” said Given to TalkSport, as shown in a video on Alan Brazil’s official Sport Breakfast Twitter account.
“I just think that Joe needs to get playing again, you know he played in Italy last year and we didn’t see much of him of course.
“I think to get back in the Premier League, where everyone wants to see, what is still, a top ‘keeper, he could get into most clubs.”
— Alan Brazil (@SportsBreakfast) July 12, 2017
Hart has struggled to impress Pep Guardiola since he took charge at the Etihad and, after a dismal performance for England at Euro 2016, was shipped out on a season-long loan to Torino in Serie A last term.
He struggled to adapt to life in Italy, as he earned just five clean sheets as he make several errors in 37 appearances across all competitions.
Hart has played 378 times for City and has been a key part in the oil-rich club’s rise to the top of English football by helping them win two Premier League titles and an FA Cup.
Given, 41, is currently on the lookout for a new club after he was released by Stoke at the end of last month.
The Irishman spent 12 years of his career playing for Newcastle and was part of the 2006 Intertoto Cup winning squad.