By Dominic Toner

Inter Milan have joined the race to sign Moussa Sissoko, according to a report.

The midfielder has made it clear that he hopes to leave Newcastle this summer and the Italian giants are now the latest club to be interested in signing the Frenchman.

Sky Sports chief reporter and transfer expert Kaveh Solheko has revealed on his personal Twitter account that Inter are have turned their sights to Sissoko after falling to agree a deal for Sporting Lisbon’s Joao Mario.

This comes after the Tuesday print edition of French newspaper L’Equipe, as cited by the Liverpool Echo, claimed that talks took place this week between Everton and Sissoko’s representatives in France”.

It is said that Everton face strong competition from Inter Milan to land the attacking midfielder, while there is also interest from Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid and Crystal Palace.

The Merseysiders are keen to steal a march on their rivals for Sissoko’s signature by attempting to thrash out a deal.

Sissoko has made it clear that he wants to leave Newcastle following their relegation from the Premier League and has played no part in the team’s opening two matches of the season, which resulted in back-to-back Championship defeats.

The Chronicle claim Newcastle slapped a huge £35million price tag on Sissoko in the wake of his display in the Euro 2016 final and he has attracted interest from big clubs across Europe.

Everton completed the £28million signing of Yannick Bolasie from Crystal Palace on Monday to go alongside the other three summer arrivals Maarten Stekelenburg, Idrissa Gueye and Ashley Williams.

But billionaire Everton owner Farhad Moshiri isn’t content with the club’s four senior signings and he has made it clear how keen he is to further strengthen the squad.

“We are very pleased about today’s signing but remain anxious to further strengthen the squad,” said the Iranian tycoon, as quoted by the Sky Sports transfer centre blog on Monday (7.13pm).

“The chairman, Bill Kenwright is relentlessly pushing things forward with my total support for him, for Steve Walsh and for Ronald Koeman.”

Everton fans will be thrilled with the update by the club’s majority shareholder, who has stayed mainly in the background since taking over the club earlier this years.

In other Newcastle transfer news, their midfielder is close to agreeing a loan-to-buy move away from the club.