By Will Butcher

Wojciech Szczesny looks set to begin next season at Arsenal after talks over a season-long loan to Roma broke down, according to a report.

The 26-year-old spent the 2015-16 campaign at the Serie A club and established himself as the undisputed No1 by starting 34 of their 38 top flight matches.

Roma instigated talks with Arsenal about recruiting the Poland international for a second consecutive campaign.

However, the Guardian claim that negotiations have hit a snag and Szczesny will return to Arsenal, where he will play second fiddle to Petr Cech.

It is said Roma would like to take Szczesny back for next season but they have so far struggled to put forward an acceptable offer to Arsenal, who paid a percentage of the Poland international’s wages last season.

The goalkeeper has two years to run on his Arsenal contract and he is expected to be offered a new one, even if the London club were to loan him again next season.

Roma manager Luciano Spalletti is believed to still be keen on bringing Szczesny back to Italy, while the former Legia Warsaw keeper has made it clear in recent months he would prefer to be playing regular football.

Szczesny’s public stance is that he is fully focused on playing for Poland at Euro 2016 as they prepare to face Ukraine on Tuesday night.

He said: “Arsenal and Roma are talking but I don’t want to worry about it now. Whether I’m an Arsenal player or a Roma player right now, it makes no difference to me. I want to focus on this tournament.”

In other Arsenal news, the Gunners are looking to beat north London rivals Tottenham to the signature of this striker.