By Tottenham correspondent Tony Hughes

Andros Townsend has been given permission by Tottenham to head to Newcastle for talks after the two clubs agreed a £12million fee for the winger, Football Insider sources understand.

The England international will finalise personal terms with the club and undergo medical tests before completing a move that is now regarded as a formality.

Townsend, who has not played for Tottenham since 22 October, hinted that a deal was close after playing for the club’s Under-21s on Monday night.

“Been an absolute pleasure playing with the U21 boys the last 3 or 4 months!” Townsend said on social media site Twitter.

Football Insider revealed on Friday that Newcastle were in negotiations with Tottenham over the transfer of the winger in the January window.

Magpies manager McClaren has targeted the Spurs outcast as he attempts to strengthen his squad for their Premier League relegation battle.

Newcastle signed Jonjo Shelvey for £12million from Swansea earlier in the window and the club are now set to add a second England international to their ranks.

Tim Sherwood, who was a key figure in Townsend’s emergence from the Spurs academy into the first team, has claimed the 24-year-old can be the matchwinner to keep McLaren’s team in the Premier League.

Asked about the north-east club, Sherwood told Match of the Day: “They will certainly have funds to spend. Jonjo Shelvey was a good signing, he can make the difference.

“They’re obviously tracking Andros Townsend, who would be an outstanding signing for them. He can win games and possibly win enough games to keep them in the league. So, they’re looking to strengthen and I think Mike Ashley will give them the money.”

The England international has been frozen out at White Hart Lane after lashing out at the club’s fitness coach during a heated row in November.

Townsend was captured by photographers being involved in an altercation with Nathan Gardiner in a post-match warm-down session following Spurs’ 3-1 win over Aston Villa.

He is yet to start a Premier League match for the club this season and was also overlooked when the second string was selected for Europa League fixtures.