By Arsenal correspondent Tony Hughes

Arsene Wenger has back-tracked on his stance that Arsenal will be very active in the January transfer window.

Wenger claimed at the end of December that he would be “busy, that is for sure” in the winter window as he attempted to end the Gunners’ 12-year title wait.

Arsenal completed the £5.2million signing of midfielder Mohamed Elneny from Basle last week but the Arsenal manager has dropped a strong hint that there may not be any more additions to the first-team squad.

Speaking at his media conference on Thursday morning, Wenger said: “You will certainly over the next ten days have some work to do, not especially with Arsenal.

“We are always open to the exceptional cases. At the moment I expect our last ten days [of the transfer window] to be quiet.”

The Frenchman had predicted on 30 December that it would be the Gunners’ most busy January window since 2006, when he signed Emmanuel Adebayor, Theo Walcott and Abou Diaby.

Mohamed Elneny has been unveiled as an Arsenal player

Done deal: Elneny was unveiled as an Arsenal player last week

“I will be busy, that is for sure,” said Wenger, when asked about his January plans.

But the manager’s stance now appears to have changed as he prepares to welcome long-term absentees Francis Coquelin, Jack Wilshere and Danny Welbeck back into the first-team fold.

Arsenal host Chelsea in an eagerly-awaited Premier League showdown at Emirates Stadium on Sunday as they bid to maintain their place at the top of the table.