By Arsenal correspondent Tony Stevens
Arsene Wenger has revealed that Arsenal are preparing for one of their busiest-ever January windows.
The Gunners have already sealed a deal for Basle midfielder Mohamed Elneny and the Gunners manager has claimed that could be the merely the start of things to come.
Asked about his January spending plans at his media conference on Wednesday morning, Wenger said: “I will be busy that is for sure. I have already said we are a bit short.”
The Frenchman was coy when asked about the Elneny deal, which is expected to be finalised in the early days of the January window, which opens on Friday.
“Sadly we cannot announced anything yet. Nothing has been concluded,” Wenger said.
The Arsenal manager traditionally buys a maximum of one player in the January window – last year he recruited Gabriel from Villarreal – but he is ready to be more active in the mid-season market than since 2006, when Theo Walcott, Emmanuel Adebayor and Abou Diaby were all signed in January.
The London club will start the new year at the Premier League summit after Leicester and Manchester City drew 0-0 on Tuesday night.
Despite Arsenal’s strong position, Wenger is aware that his injury-ravaged squad requires strengthening, with the likes of Santi Cazorla, Francis Coquelin, Danny Welbeck, Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Tomas Rosicky sidelined for extended periods.
Asked about Arsenal’s title chances, Wenger said: “I’m confident, we fight to stay there. It’s a long way to go, it’s just half way. Everyone wants to predict who can win it, but it’s only half way.
“We have to raise above that and show we can deal with all that [pressure]. We can have great solidarity in every game and we have a chance.
“You cannot rule us out. We are first after 19 games. We have a chance and want to fight for it. I believe we are mature enough.”