By Harvey Byrne
Tony Xia has dismissed the possibility on Twitter of Aston Villa signing Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.
Johnstone, 23, is expected to leave Old Trafford this summer and the Daily Mail claimed that United had already rejected a bid from Aston Villa alongside a host of other Championship sides.
However, the outspoken Villa owner has responded on his personal Twitter account to suggestions that the club had missed out on the goalkeeper target.
The original tweet from Aston Villa fan Twitter account ‘The Religion – AVFC’ was deleted, but another fan got a screenshot of the claim that the Midlands club had missed out on the player.
“Aston Villa failed to sign Manchester United and England youth goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, a bid was rejected and now he will join Nottingham Forest on loan” said the tweet from the fan site.
— Aaron Wiz (@WizMacc) August 26, 2016
However, the Chinese owner was quick to quash the rumour and responded to the claim almost instantly.
“Another rumor (sic),not true,” said Xia on his social media platform.
Another rumor,not true! https://t.co/SbYZICcyR0
— Dr. Tony Xia (@Dr_TonyXia) August 26, 2016
The Chinese tycoon purchased the Championship club in June for £75 million and has helped Roberto Di Matteo acquire seven new players during the summer transfer window.
He has already sanctioned the move of goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini from Hellas Verona in a £4.1million deal this summer.
The Villa Park club also have goalkeeper duo Mark Bunn and Jed Steer as options to start in the net.
Johnstone is still waiting to make a debut appearance for Manchester United after loan spells at five different clubs.
The goalkeeper spent a month on loan at Championship side Preston last season playing in four encounters and conceding six goals.
In other Aston Villa transfer news, target Patrick Bamford is joining Burnley on a season-long loan.