'All of a sudden...' - Exclusive: Robinson reacts to latest Dele snub from Tottenham
Paul Robinson expects Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli to move on this transfer window as “the writing is on the wall” for the 24-year-old.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, the former Spurs goalkeeper delivered his verdict as the England international was left out of Tottenham’s squad for the game against Southampton at the weekend.
The game marked the second consecutive game that Alli did not even make the bench for after he was left at home for Spurs’ Europa League tie against Bulgarian side Lokomotiv Plovdiv last week.
Before Sunday’s game Spurs boss Jose Mourinho said: “To be honest, I don’t like the number of players I have at the moment in my squad. It’s very, very difficult to manage in every aspect of my job.”
Asked by Football Insider whether this could be the end of Alli’s time in north London, Robinson said: “I’ve liked Dele for a long time but he’s 24 and he’s not done it for long enough now.
“When Jose first came in and Dele’s form started to pick up and he started to get goals, you could almost see a player-manager relationship that was growing there.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“I thought Jose could be the perfect fit for Dele because he’d been criticised for 12, 18 months, he’d not been getting the best out of himself. All of sudden a manager of Jose’s quality with his man-management ability, I thought it was going to be a perfect fit but it just hasn’t worked.
“He was dragged off at half-time against Everton last week, left out the midweek squad, left out of the squad for the Southampton game, you don’t leave a player of Dele Alli’s quality out of the squad. Dele is more than good enough on that bench unless there’s an underlying reason.
“Unfortunately, I think the writing is probably on the wall for Dele. I think we will see him move on.”
In other Tottenham news, Ryan Sessegnon has been tipped to leave Spurs on a permanent deal after U-turn.